Nmap (“Network Mapper”) is a free and open source utility for network exploration or security auditing. Many systems and network administrators also find it useful for tasks such as network inventory, managing service upgrade schedules, and monitoring host or service uptime. Nmap uses raw IP packets in novel ways to determine what hosts are available on the network, what services (application name and version) those hosts are offering, what operating systems (and OS versions) they are running, what type of packet filters/firewalls are in use, and dozens of other characteristics.Features :
- Host discovery – Identify hosts on a network.
- Port scanning – Enumerate the open ports on one or more target hosts.
- Version detection – Interrogate network services listening on remote devices to determine the application name and version number.
- OS detection – Remotely determine the operating system and some hardware characteristics of network devices.
- Scriptable interaction with the target – Using Nmap Scripting Engine and the Lua language, customized queries can be made.
- Reverse DNS lookup.
- Find device type information.
- Retrieve MAC addresses.