Snort is an open source network intrusion prevention and detection system (IDS/IPS) developed by Sourcefire. Combining the benefits of signature, protocol, and anomaly-based inspection, Snort is the most widely deployed IDS/IPS technology worldwide.Snort can perform protocol analysis and content searching/matching. It can be used to detect a variety of attacks and probes, such as buffer overflows, stealth port scans, CGI attacks, SMB probes, OS fingerprinting attempts, and much more. It uses a flexible rules language to describe traffic that it should collect or pass, as well as a detection engine that utilizes a modular plug-in architecture. Snort has a real-time alerting capability as well, incorporating alerting mechanisms for syslog, a user specified file, a UNIX socket, or WinPopup messages to Windows clients. Snort has three primary uses: a straight packet sniffer like tcpdump, a packet logger, or a full network intrusion prevention system.
- Protocol analysis and content searching/matching
- Uses a flexible rules language to describe traffic that it should collect or pass
- Detection engine that utilizes a modular plug-in architecture
- Real-time alerting capability
- Detects buffer overflows, stealth port scans, CGI attacks, SMB probes, OS fingerprinting attempts, and more.
Download latest Version :
Windows : hSnort_2_9_2_1_Installer.exe (3.7 MB)
Linux : snort-188.8.131.52.tar.gz